A welcome change of pace...
History: Bathurst, originally part of the District of Bathurst, was settled in 1816 when the first survey of the land was completed. The District severed from the District of Johnstown in 1822. The township of Bathurst was named for Henry Bathurst, the third Earl of Bathurst, who served as Secretary of State for War and the Colonies from 1812 to 1827.
The villages and hamlets of Bathurst include Glen Tay, Dewitt’s Corners, Balderson, Fallbrook, Playfairville, Harper, Wemyss and Armstrongs Corners. The history of our villages, hamlets and communities is described at the following link: Villages, Hamlets and Communities of Tay Valley
The former township of North Burgess was settled around 1816 by a group of Scottish and Irish immigrants, and soldiers from the War of 1812-14. The first residents established homes and farms along the first stretch of cleared land, which would become know as the Scotch Line.
South Sherbrooke, a long wedge-shaped township surveyed in 1819, was among the first townships settled in Lanark County. At the time of survey South Sherbrooke was one of many townships within the District of Bathurst. The name was adopted from Sir John Coape Sherbooke, who served in the British Army for 30 years and then became Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia from 1811 to 1816. General Sherbrooke also served as Governor General of British North America from 1816-1818. Like much of the surrounding area, South Sherbrooke was settled by Scottish and Irish immigrants. For many years after settlement in 1821, farmers struggled and persevered with the harsh terrain of the Canadian Shield. The hamlets and villages of South Sherbrooke include Maberly, Bolingbrooke, Althorpe, and Rokeby, which was the first settlement of this township.
Featured Event: Heritage Mica Days
Tay Valley Township
217 Harper Rd., R.R. 4
Perth, Ontario K7H 3C6
Tel: 613-267-5353 / 1-800-810-0161