Township of Beckwith

Proud of Our Past, Confident in Our Future"

Lilac Capital of Ontario
Set on the banks of beautiful Mississippi Lake, the historic hamlets of Ashton, Blacks Corners, Franktown and Prospect were settled over 200 years ago. The Beckwith Heritage Days event, heritage schoolhouse route and historic church tour illuminate Beckwith’s rich agricultural history.  Amidst farmers’ fields and forest, a network of trails and expansive recreational parkland is open to the public.  Beckwith Recreation Complex is located at 1319 9th Line Beckwith, and is the ideal entry point to walk the Goodwood Marsh Nature Trail, which links to the Beckwith trail network and the Ottawa Valley Recreation Trail (OVRT).

History:  Named after Sir Thomas Sydney Beckwith (1772-1831) the Quarter Master for Canada between 1815 and 1823, the Township of Beckwith was surveyed in 1816 and settlement started around 1817 with approximately 27 land grants in activation. By the 1860’s Beckwith’s population was up to 2,629 founding villages with schools, churches, blacksmith shops, cobblers, tailors, coopers, taverns, and general stores. Beckwith’s population is now over 6,986 and a popular home for people commuting to work in Ottawa, operating a home-based businesses or agricultural property.

Signature Events:
Franktown Lilac Festival
Inhale the splendour of gorgeous Lilac Lane in Beckwith Township, the “Lilac Capital of Ontario.” The village of Franktown is renowned for its annual Lilac Festival, held 4th Saturday of May each year.

Beckwith Heritage Days
Celebrate Beckwith Township’s rich agricultural history at Beckwith Park, 1319 9thLine Beckwith on the 2nd Saturday of June each year. Enjoy a pancake breakfast, antique and modern machinery displays, petting farm & pony rides, livestock displays and demonstrations, a beach volleyball tournament, live entertainment, children’s entertainment, face painting, air bounce, a BBQ, craft market, and more!

Lanark County Harvest Festival
This outdoor celebration of local producers and their harvest features food seminars, live music, and children’s activities. This annual event supports more than 55 local businesses and six farmers’ markets.

Related Articles:

Ashton Brew Pub

Remembering the one room schoolhouse: Legacy project rebuilds school as it was in the 1860’s

An edible legacy for Canada’s 150th in Lanark County

For more Beckwith Township Events and Information please visit

Beckwith Township
1702 9th Line Beckwith, 
Carleton Place ON K7H 3P2
Tel: 613-257-1539 / 1-800-535-4532