North Elmsley and North Burgess Heritage Properties

Glebe, 44 South Street, Perth

In 1836, the trustees of St. Andrew’s church successfully petitioned the government of Upper Canada for a glebe, land that could provide income for a clergyman. No apparent use of the glebe, which eventually amounted to more than 200 acres, was recorded until May 1847, when tenders were called to build a manse of local sandstone for the congregation’s second minister, the Reverend William Bain, on property at the east end of Drummond Street, within clear view of St. Andrew’s church on Drummond at Craig.

Reverend Bain had came to Canada from Nairn, Scotland, in 1838, and taught grammar school in Cornwall before becoming one of the first graduates of Queen’s, which had been founded as a Presbyterian college, in 1845, the same year he was ordained minister of St. Andrew’s. Reverend Bain spent his entire career in Perth, retiring from St. Andrew’s in 1881. To finance his retirement package, St. Andrew’s presbytery sold all but eight acres and the manse, providing Bain with a pension and use of the manse. When Bain moved to Kingston the following year, the manse was sold by public auction and the presbytery built a new manse at the corner of Boulton and Victoria Streets, on land belonging to the estate of Judge John Glass Malloch, son-in-law of the Reverend William Bell, the first minister of St. Andrew’s.

 

More information is needed about McKinley, Goldrush House, Scotch Line, Pt. Lot 15, Concession 8, North Burgess, Willson Property, Lot 22, Concession 10, North Elmsley and the Wicklum Property, Pt. Lot 12, Concession 7.

X
X