Skiing, Snowboarding & Snowshoeing
Lanark County offers lots of opportunities for folks to strap apparatus to their feet and hit the snow! Whether you prefer cross-country or downhill skiing, snowboarding or snowshoeing, there are several ways to explore the quiet beauty of the county’s natural areas during their winter slumber. Check out some of the multi-use trails listed for cross-country skiing and snowshoeing opportunities and peruse some of the specific locations below. To rent snowshoes, visit Wheelers Maple Sugar Camp (for use on site) or the Carleton Place Information Centre at 170 Bridge St, Carleton Place.
Downhill Skiing & Tubing
This ski resort at 577 Ski Hill Rd., Pakenham, offers 10 runs for downhill skiers and snowboarders from beginner to expert, gladed areas, a lift-serviced terrain park and lots of snowmaking and grooming equipment. Day and night skiing is offered from December to March. Lessons, a lodge, lounge, boutique, rental shop, bar, washrooms and cafeteria are also offered. 613-624-5290 www.mountpakenham.com
Cross Country Skiing
Murphys Point Provincial Park & Tay Valley Ski Club
The Tay Valley Ski Club partners with Murphys Point Provincial Park to provide 26 km of cross-country ski trails, with 12 km groomed for classic, 4 km groomed for skating and 10 km ungroomed. A regular loppet is held and there are also special programs and events. Park at the main lot off ElmGrove Road or at the Lally Homestead; both are maintained in winter. There is a privy at the Lally Homestead parking lot and woodstoves can be found at the Lally barn and the ski chalet near the main parking lot. Click HERE for a map of the trails.
Timber Run Ski Trail
Check out the winter beauty of this golf course off County Road 511 (54 Caldwell Rd.) just south of Lanark Village. A series of cross-country ski trails meander through the property and some snowmobile trails pass through as well. Parking and washrooms are available. 613-259-5313
Wheeler’s Maple Sugar Camp
This pancake house and sugar camp offers snowshoeing and cross-country skiing/skijoring in winter, as well as access to local snowmobile trails. Traditional-style snowshoes are available for rent or bring your cross-country skis to tour the bush trails. 613-278-2090.
With hundreds of kilometres of trails crisscrossing Lanark County and beyond in all directions, winter fun abounds. Several local snowmobile clubs are part of the Beautiful Eastern Association of Snowmobile Trails and the Kingston and Pembroke Snow Trails Association (850 km within Lanark County). Groomed paths take you through the area and offer many places to stop, explore, refuel and fill up! Lanark County is in District 1 of the Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs. Click HERE for maps, to check conditions or purchase permits. Permits are required. 613-278-0477 (K&P)
Public Skating & Outdoor Rinks
Whether it’s at the local arena or outdoors, skating is a popular winter activity in Lanark County. Dust off those skates and check out the following venues.
- Beckwith Public Skating Schedule: http://twp.beckwith.on.ca/recreation/beckwith-public-skating/
- Carleton Place Public Skating Schedule: https://carletonplace.ca/arena.php
- Lanark Arena Public Skating Schedule: https://www.lanarkhighlands.ca/CommunityServices/Arena.php.html
- Almonte & Pakenham Arenas Public Skating & Free Skate Schedule: https://www.mississippimills.ca/en/play/skating.asp
- Perth Arena: Free skating at the Perth Arena on Saturdays from 7-8 p.m. and on Sundays from 1-2 p.m. until the end of March. Ice Schedule: https://app.bookking.ca/perthpub/calendars/facilities/
- Smiths Falls Public Skating Schedule: https://www.smithsfalls.ca/public-notice/public-skating-2019-2020/
Outdoor Ice Rinks
- Almonte: at Augusta Street Park (81 Mercer Street)
- Carleton Place: at Carleton Junction (42 Moore Street), and beside the Carambeck Community Centre (351 Bridge St)
- Perth: at the Perth Fire Hall (1881 Rogers Rd), and downtown on “The Little Tay” (Tay Canal) between Mex & Co (55 Gore St E) and Coutts Coffee Roasters (57 Gore St E) are open for outdoor skating for the month of February.
- Smiths Falls: Gerry Lowe Memorial Sens Rink of Dreams (150 Elmlsey Street)
- Tay Valley: http://www.tayvalleytwp.ca/en/discover-tay-valley/Outdoor-Ice-Rinks.asp