You would be hard-pressed to find someone who doesn’t have a secret love for creamy, rich, melt-in-your-mouth chocolate. This dark treat is always a crowd favourite, and chocolate aficionados know that chocolate is not only delicious but it can also be used in hundreds of decadent desserts, food and drinks.
Just because we are currently amidst a pandemic doesn’t mean you can’t experience those chocolate undertones in Lanark County and taste-test your way through all the sinful flavours of Lanark County’s Chocolate Trail. And trust us, you will not be disappointed.
*Many of these locations offer online orders and curbside pick-up or delivery. Before wandering the chocolate trail, make sure you are aware of the current COVID-19 restrictions.
A Chocolate-y Village
Begin the trail in the small village of Lanark, home to the well-known Village Treats a family run business that has been creating decadent chocolate confections for more than 40 years. Here, they have perfected the art of producing high-quality chocolates made from traditional recipes and techniques.
Chocolate Aplenty in Perth
The next stop on the trail is Perth, a short 15-minute drive from Lanark, where you will be transported to Europe with their charming boutiques and 19th century stone buildings.
Find these sinful destinations right in the heart of downtown Perth (and don’t worry, they all offer curbside pick-up or delivery):
- Perth Chocolate Works – For artisan chocolates, confections, barks and bars, baked goods and more.
- Blackfly Grub Hub – For chocolate inspired homemade donuts (decadent but worth it).
- Perth Brewery – Try their Mocha Stout brewed with organic espresso beans, natural chocolate and Madagascar vanilla.
- The Stone Cellar – Savour (or bring home) one of their handmade chocolate desserts
Chocolate History in Smiths Falls
Head to Smiths Falls next, originally home to the Hershey’s Chocolate, with a chocolatey story to tell. Hershey’s Chocolate isn’t operating in town anymore, they’ve made way for the cannabis company, Tweed (Canopy Growth Corp.). While you’re in town, visit C’est Tout Bakery for chocolate baked goods and treats.
Award-winning Chocolate in Almonte
The last stop on the trail is the charming town of Almonte, home to Dr. James Naismith, the inventor of basketball, and the site of numerous Hallmark movies. Here, chocolate has truly found its dark and decadent niche, and we invite you to explore the following sweet spots:
- Pêches et Poivre – For chocolates and chocolate treats.
- Tea and Cake – For brownies, cakes or cupcakes (gluten-free options available).
- Loom Bistro – For decadent chocolate desserts, made from scratch.
- Café Postino – Try their traditional chocolate gelato (Tartufo) for an international chocolate journey.
- Hummingbird Chocolate Maker – World renowned for their award-winning chocolate.
- Equator Coffee – Savour delicious chocolate drinks (including coffee and hot chocolate) and rich, chocolate desserts (gluten-free options available).
- Dairy Distillery – Their Almonte Friendship Series Vodkow Cream Liquor Gift Box includes Vodkow Chocolate Cream which features chocolate crafted by award-winning Hummingbird Chocolate.